Joanna Janik, assistant professor at the Institute of Classical Philology of the Jagiellonian University, classical philologist, Hellenist, deals with the development of ethical concepts in Greek archaic epic and Greek prose, mainly of the classical period. One of the main research topics of J. Janik is the work of Isocrates in the context of the development of rhetoric and political concepts of the 4th century BC.
J. Janik is the author of the translation of the monograph by J. N. Adams, “The Latin Sexual Vocabulary” along with examples from Greek and Latin literature contained in it in the original versions (not translated by the author). The study was published in 2013 under the Polish title “Latin Sexualisms”. As part of the project led by prof. Sylwester Dworacki translated the 15th book of “Library” by Diodorus Siciliski.
- “Terms of the Semantic Sphere of dike and themis in the Early Greek Epic Poetry”, Polish Academy of Learning, Kraków 2003 (monograph)
- “Political Concepts and Language of Isocrates”, Krakow 2012 (monograph)
- “Libanius and the death of Julian. Orations XVII and XVIII – few remarks on the true emotions behind the convention, Classica Cracoviensia Vol. XXI (2018), pp. 83-93
- “To avange the burnt statues and temples of the Gods: the religious background of the Greek Wars with the “Barbarians”, The European Legacy, Towards New Paradigms. The Greeks in a changing world: Ancient answers to modern questions, 2018, Vol. 23, no. 1-2, pp. 77-94
- “Isocrates – Writer or Orator? Some Remarks on the Composition of the Panegyric”, Quaestiones Oralitatis II 1 (2016), pp. 55-74
- The Written Text in the Athenian Political Culture in the First Decades of the 4th Century B.C., Classica Cracoviensia Vol. XVIII (2015), pp. 199-212
- “Isocrates and some topoi re-invented”, Classica Cacoviensia Vol. XVI (2013), pp. 79-88
- “Wisdom behind Power: General Remark on Isocrates as Self-made Advisor of the Kings”, [in:] “Leadership in Antiquity: Language-Institutions_Representations, Classica Cracovienisa Vol. XV (2012), ed. J. Janik, A. Klęczar, pp. 109-121
- “Against the Sophists and Isocrates, First Declaration, [in:] “Studies of Greek and Roman Literature and Culture; Essays in Honor of Józef Korpanty”, Classica Cracoviensia Vol. XIV (2011), ed. J. Styka, St. Sniezewski, pp. 137-148
- “The Meaning of Justice in the Poetry of Hesiod and Its Continuation in the Lyric of Solon”, EOS LXXXIX 2002, 203-227
Diodorus Siculus, De Thebanorum principatu: (Bibliotheca Historica XV). Hegemonia of Teb, edited by S. Dworacki, translated by J. Janik, commentary by L. Mrozewicz, Poznań: Wydawnictwo Naukowe UAM 2020
J. N. Adams, “The Latin Sexual Vocabulary”, Kraków 2013
POLIS, volume 38, 2021: Special Issue: Discourses of Identity in the Ancient World / ed. Jakub Filonik, Joanna Janik, Janek Kucharski, Peter Liddel. No. 3: Special Issue: Legislation and Lawgiving: Philosophical Perspectives on Antiquity / edited by Dimitri El Murr,
“Freedom and Its Limits in the Ancient World”, Electrum vol.9, Kraków 2003, (ed. By D.Brodka, J.Janik, S.Sprawski),
“Leadership in Antiquity: Language-Institutions_Representations, Classica Cracovienisa Vol. XV (2012), ed. J. Janik, A. Klęczar
Entries in encyclopedias:
Izydora Dąmbska in: Biographical dictionary of Polish women classicists: 20th century, ed.
E. Olechowska, G. Whitaker, Warsaw, 2018